A Note on Mixtapes:
As the best mixtape makers know, the order, the number of songs, the theme of the mix tape are all essential.
So here’s the breakdown:
45 songs. 3 for each month. (30 Pop, 15 Tango.)
Plus the yapay, the lagniappe, the free nectarine and wink from the fruit vendor when you buy three kilos of assorted fruit.
15 Months in Pop
1. Flo Rida - Club Can’t Handle Me Morning dance song.
2. Cee-Lo Green – No One’s Gonna Love You The Boedo Apartment.
3. John Mulville - The Leaving of Liverpool End of January.
4. Carbon Leaf - Changeless All of February.
5. Roberta Flack - Reverend Lee Do you know Roberta Flack?
6. Ryan Adams - Wonderwall Talking the Blue Rose.
7. Tom Waits - Martha My first room in Guevara.
8. Rachael Cantu - Devil’s Thunder Skating in a rink too small.
9. Joss Stone - Right to Be Wrong Stretching in Contempo class.
10. Mumford & Sons – Winter Winds On repeat for months.
11. Adele – Turning Tables Singing loud when no one’s home.
12. Kanye West – Lost in the World Over dumplings.
13. The Black Keys - Tighten Up Feminist arguments over a music video? Yes.
14. Labi Siffre - My Song A pick me up morning song.
15. Wye Oak - Civilian Thank you, Walking Dead trailer.
16. Lady Gaga – The Edge of Glory Cheto Recoleta Party at 1 a.m.
17. Mac Miller – Missed Calls Telling it like it is.
18. Natasha Bedingfield – Strip Me Tango Pop.
19. Mika – Any Other World “I tried to live alone but lonely is so lonely, alone.”
20. Noah and the Whale – L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N Driving down 9 de Julio, coming back from beach.
21. Journey- Don’t Stop Believing The Yapay. And the cap on every Karoke night.
Pop from Porteños
1. Los Adolescentes -- Me Tengo Que Ir A radio favorite.
2. Los Piojos – Pacifico My BA band.
3. Grupo 5- Te Vas Te Vas Cochabamba 958.
4. Onda Vaga – Mambeado First concert at Konex.
5. Chino ft. Nacho- Mi Niña Bonita Dancing in Godoy.
6. Silvio Rodriguez- En Busca de un Sueño Local cover concert with Piper.
7. Calle 13 – No Hay Nadie Como Tú A youtube godsend from Sofia.
8. Shakira – Esto es Africa I declared linguistic success when I understood this.
9. Ha Ash- Te Dejo en Libertad The nuances of “I love you.”
10. Bryan Adams - Todo Lo Que Hago Lo Hago Por Ti This song pretty accurately sums up the experience of living abroad: things you thought you knew changed enough that you can either be upset or just laugh.
A Note on Tandas: In the milongas, the songs are played in “tandas,” which is a set of three or four dances that are linked by a similar theme, composer, or style (waltz, tango, milonga). My mix is arranged into “tandas” to honor this tradition.
You often learn the sound of the song before you learn its name. I suppose the same can be said of one’s dancing partners.
1. Sexteto Milonguero- Tres Esquinas A reminder these songs written from the city's corners.
2. Carlos Di Sarli- Bailemos Raúl always started classes with a smile and “Bailemos.”
3. Sexteto Milonguero – El Cielo y Tu A force to watch live.
Waltz & Milonga
What a year in BA taught me: Over tango, I actually prefer Milonga. Consistently.
4. Biagi- Dichas Que Vivi One of the few waltzes I like.
5. Canaro- Milonga Criolla My speed of music.
6. Soha – Mil Pasos Pop + Milonga Beat? = Sold.
“El tango argentino es un pensamiento triste que se puede bailar.” (“Tango is a sad thought danced.”) –Enrique Santos Discépolo
7. Di Sarli – Bahia Blanca
8. Garcia -Tristeza Marina
9. Alfredo De Angelis- Remembranza
The tango I loved was really dancing tango to non-tango music. This is my tanda.
10. Gotan Project – Érase Una Vez Tango music, for me, at its sexiest.
11. Xaris Aleksiou –To Tango Tis Nefelis Proof that tango can be danced to basically anything.
12. Otro Aires – Otra Noche en “La Viruta” BA Highlight: Dancing to Otro Aires playing this in La Viruta.
Top Three Tangos
13. Lomuto - Si Soy Asi The gist of the song: “I am this way. Deal with it.”
14. Biagi, Rodolfo – Sentimento Gaucho Spent a class on the piano solo. So fun.
15. Alfredo de Angelis – El Huracán The end of this song mimics its title. Brilliant.